Monday, July 23, 2012

Film Review! Amazing Spider-Man

Spider-Man stopped being my favorite hero when I was about 9 years old. Yet I still chose to see this film over 'The Dark Knight Rises' because I was in a "not-so-dark" mood on Saturday. Plus I felt that my wife would enjoy it better. The tragedy in Colorado was not a factor in my choice making, we can not let cowardly  idiots with guns rule over our lives...and still, the lines for ' The Dark Knight Rises ' were almost non-existent.
I did enjoy ' Amazing Spider-Man', even more so than the first version. Andrew Garfield was good as the wall crawler but his suit was just sucky. All those small squares or diamonds all over the material were out of place. His Peter Parker was way too moody and skater-boy like. I never understood how a smart and reserved guy like Peter can suddenly turn into the wise cracking, fun loving Spider-Man. It was funny that my wife mentioned it first that Andrew's acting seems to be from the school of  'Twilight' and Kristen Stewart. Its the "im so cold and confused" method (and my wife loves those films), and I agree. Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy was very good. My one complaint was the way they dressed her. I know the character came out in the 60's but did they have to keep her "too short" mini-skirts and go-go boots as her only outfit? Even when she was at Oscorp with her lab coat on? Really?! Best part of the film was Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben...well he is Martin Sheen. Even though Rhys Ifans was a good Dr. Curt Conners, the Lizard was weak. The design of the character was just unimaginative and boring. His motivation to heal his missing arm grew into turning all of New York into lizard people? Why? Because lizards are aggressive, power hungry, animals? I do not buy it. On another subject, who the hell was that guy in a suit at the end of the film visiting Dr. Conners in prison?
Final File: See it once...wait for part 2.

No comments: