Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Whats up with variant covers?



        This is the variant cover to Action Comics #14. The artist is Steve Skroce. I know that Steve is a good
artist, I have seen his past work. Now I know he has not done much comic art for a while but that is no
excuse. This cover just sucks. What is Superman doing? If he is landing with a "super-slam", his body is
way too stiff  and unnatural. If he is jumping up and out of something then what is up with the cape?
Speaking of the cape...why is it like three times too long and big? The "angels" and all the rocks also appear
to be floating in mid air, not traveling at all. My thought was that variant covers where supposed to be an
incentive or a plus, not something that seems unnecessary. When I ordered this book online I did not get to
see what the cover was going to look like. I ordered it on the fact that it was a variant and I did not like the
original cover. Boy was I surprised...I don't like these kinds of surprises. To all publishers out there, If you
want to give us a variant, make sure it is good or don't bother. Mr. Steve Skroce, I know you don't suck
as much as this cover does. If your too lazy to do a good job, let someone else do it.

No comments: