Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Worth the cover price?

I remember when comic books where a couple of dollars. Now the regular price for a 22 page book is between $3 to $5. Yes we have better paper, printing quality, coloring and art but are they still over priced?
I'm going to pick on issue #13 of 'Justice League'. I have the variant cover version. It is a digital painting by Alex Garner.It is a very well done cover and I feel it does add to the value of this issue. The main story is 20 pages which cheats us out of two pages, a minus. Then we get a six page backup story that feels a bit out of place and just thrown in as a filler, a minus. When I pay for a title I like a full story of the characters I am paying for. Then we get the cheapest trick in the book. We get five pages of a totally different book ( in this case Superman #13) which we may or may not buy, but should be our choice. I am in a sense paying for five pages of advertising for another title without having a choice, huge minus. So I end up paying $3.99 for a thirty-one page book of which I am only interested in twenty of those pages. This is just one example of books that do this. Publishers seem to be taking advantage of the reader, especially one like me that buys his books online and is not able to peek through them to see what I am paying for. I don't like feeling cheated.


No comments: