Monday, February 18, 2013

Comic-Con 2013 ticket sale: Disaster...again!

I am upset.
No, I am angry.
No, I am PISSED OFF!

Between 1997 and 2004 I was a loyal Comic-Con International attendee, and they were great times. Then
in 2005 I noticed a change. Comic-Con had gotten too big. Hollywood was pushing comics down to the
minority attraction at the show. All of a sudden there were too many people in the isles. The lines grew too long. Too many transvestites ( honest, and I'm still not sure why). Too many people going just for the hype of it all and not even caring about comics. I felt a big change coming, and it was not a good one.

I spent the next four years in art school getting my degree. This left me with very little extra money (art school is crazy expensive kids). So I was not able to afford  going to Comic-Con. Then in 2011 I tried to get tickets again...no luck...sold out. Then in 2012...no luck....sold out. So I decided to increase my chances this year as best I could. So I got up early, logged on to the ticket sales page, pressed the button right at 9:00 am...and waited...and waited...and I got an error page! What? I jumped right back in again...and waited...and waited...and the page told me it had a full waiting room and that there was probably no more tickets anyway...WTF!!?? It took 9 minutes.9 F***EN MINUTES!  My 9 years of loyalty were crapped on in 9 minutes.

The sad thing about this story is I know I'm not alone.

So I'm bitching about it,but not without offering a solution. A very simple solution.

Split the show in two. Four days of Comic-Con International with a focus on comic books and four days of Hollywood-Con International with a focus on film and television. Two separate shows back to back in the same week. Most people will not be able to go to both shows and they can pick the one they would rather attend.This will split the amount of attendees and double the amount of tickets available. Plus some companies can get eight days of show access, by doing both shows, instead of four.

Changes need to be made. When they happen I look forward to going back to Comic-Con...but until then, I will not waste my time.

You see me but its become impossible to see you

No comments: