Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Cost of Love

I love comic books.

You love comic books.

Lately it seems as if that love is costing us more and more. I see a bad trend starting with the $7.99 cover
price of  Amazing Spider-Man #700. I did not buy it. If you are a casual comic buyer then it wont hurt you as much, but I already have a large pull stack and to pay almost $8 for one issue would break me.(plus I already knew the "secret" of the story so I just skipped it) At the moment I am comfortable paying the $2.99 per issue price that most comics are. With my discount online its not so bad...but that is the limit of my comfort level. I see too many new titles starting at $3.99 and at that price you only get five comics for $20...FIVE! I'm old enough to remember when $2.50 was just crazy for one comic. In a time when this great art form is hurting in sales I think the big publishers should do more to keep the prices down and get more people to fall in love with comic books like you and I have.

Could we one day look back at this issue as the start of the price explosion?


No comments: